Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Book Review: A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

 The movie adaptation of this book was just released last month. If you like it  Since you'll like it, I recommend checking out the movie, though I haven't seen it yet. However, the trailer looked awesome, which is why I bought the book in the first place.

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
7723542
Cover image from Goodreads. A newer edition is available here.

 Goodreads Synopsis: 
This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog's search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, this touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here? Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey's search for his new life's meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8 year old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog. But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey's journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders, will he ever find his purpose? 

My Review: I can't believe how amazing this book was. The whole entire story was just... amazing! I know I sound repetitive, but it's true. The dog in this story (let's just go by Bailey for now, even though he has quite a few names because of all his lives), tells the story through his naive, innocent ways, and you can really see him grow and become less naive as the story progresses. Each time he gets reborn, he comes back and realizes his previous purpose. The story's concept itself was cool, but the execution was better. One can really imagine the bond between him and his owners, especially Ethan, the boy, which is really touching. It's also cool to see a dog's insights in the world and about it. Even though this book was sad at some points, it was also moving, and everything worked out in the end. I actually stayed up until 1 AM to finish this book, as it was so good. I give this book 5 stars. I'm so glad to have found it, and I'm going to recommend it to everyone I know!
Oh, and here are a few notes on the age level. Many recommend this to age 14+ on average, I myself think 12-13 years of age is fine, as it was pretty clean overall. Scholastic says grades 6-8 and 9-12.
Enjoy reading! I hope you'll check the rest of the series out as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...