Tuesday, May 23, 2017

How History Should Be Taught

 Many people I know don't like studying history in school, and they say that  it's their least favorite subject of them all. However, many parts of history are pretty interesting, like historical figures, women's rights movements, and how slavery impacted the country. Therefore, I'm lead to believe that perhaps it's not the subject itself that's boring, but that the way it's taught in school is (not to disrespect teachers/professors or anything, because I know they try their best). So if I had a history class, here's how I'd teach it.

Core material (65%): First, depending on the audience, I'd pick out some books, specifically historical fiction, to read in class. I think Laurie Anderson's Forge would be a great example if studying the Revolutionary War, even if it's for middle grade, because of the historical accuracy. The little things that were not correct for the time frame we could discuss in class, or the students could find those errors for extra credit. I'd also assign videos with action, but not too much of analyzing by modern-day historians, because the videos get a bit dull once that starts. In fact, I'd try to find YA historical fiction made into movies, because those would be amazing! Also, instead of in-class notes, I'd just have students jot things down from our discussions of the novels and videos that I'd talk about, but if that really wasn't enough, then maybe every Friday or so we'd take brief notes. 


Projects/Finals (25%): For the two main finals, I'd split the class up into groups and they'd create a play based on the units, film it, and play it in front of the class. I'd give at least two weeks to work on it, of course. It would be an enjoyable twist on models, etc. 


Homework (10%): Homework would only be assigned once a week. I'd give a vocabulary sheet, and the students would write a short story using all of the words and the setting we were discussing. As long as it was accurate, they wouldn't need to worry. In addition, they could continue their story each week, nearly making it a novel by the end of the unit :).


So that's how I'd try to spruce up history classes. How would you teach history if you got the chance? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...