Tuesday, January 28, 2020

A Study of Sherlock

My friend got me hooked to Sherlock (the one with Benedict Cumberbatch) over Thanksgiving break, and it's high time I review the show. But instead of reviewing the series collectively, I've decided to give a breakdown of my thoughts on each episode.
sherlock holmes GIF
Credit
Season 1
Episode 1: A Study in Pink
sherlock GIF
One of the best lines of the episode (credit)
  • Fun fact: I watched this episode three times in one week: by myself, with my family, and with a family friend to try to get them hooked.
  • Super super super good! I love how they explain Sherlock's deductions in a realistic way. He was absolutely mind-blowing in the scene where he first met John Watson.
  • Animation/transitions are done super well.  Time slows down as Sherlock puts the pieces of the case together, and I really feel like I'm in his head.
  • A lot of the episode was watching Sherlock figure everything out. After a while I stopped trying to solve the case, lol.
  • The mystery was very intriguing, and so was the killer's motive.
  • Overall, 10/10!
Episode 2: The Blind Banker
  • First time I noticed that the intro scenes are done very well! I was dying to know what the museum employee had seen that shocked her.
  • Decent mystery, but it was a pretty standard, action-packed story. In fact, it reminded me a lot of the Tintin books (especially when they mention Black Lotus, this is really similar to the The Blue Lotus).
  • Overall, 8/10.
Episode 3: The Great Game
bbc sherlock GIF
Credit
  • First time we meet Moriarty, one of the two major villains of the show!
  • I actually did not enjoy the structure of this episode; I liked it better when the episode focused on a large case. Moriarty kept giving Sherlock cases, and he solved them. Because we know Sherlock would solve every case, the episode's repetitiveness got boring fast.
  • Killer ending though, no pun intended.
  • Overall: 9/10.
Season 2
Episode 1: A Scandal in Belgravia
  • This was a lighter episode, a nice break from the seriousness of S1E3.
  • I liked that Irene's character was bold and that she was a cunning adversary for Sherlock.
  • Irene's fate (the end of the episode) is very funny.
  • Overall: 9/10.
Episode 2: The Hounds of Baskerville
benedict cumberbatch sherlock GIF
Sherlock says he has doesn't have friends, but then John storms away, so he says the above quote. My heart melted (credit).
  • Nice mystery; I was very confused the entire time ;).
  • Some parts almost made me jump! I also think Watson is very brave for running into an empty cage when he thought the hound was chasing him; I never would've thought of that personally.
  • I have to admit, Sherlock guessing the password to open someone's laptop was too extreme. I don't believe Sherlock is that genius.
  • Overall: 9/10.
Episode 3: The Reichenbach Fall
  • SO SO SO GOOD. I haven't seen a better season finale for any show, ever.
  • I cried at the end, even though I'd read ahead on Netflix and seen what was going to happen in Season 3.
  • I really, really liked that Sherlock was stuck and practically hopeless and that he finally takes Molly's help.
  • Overall: 11/10. I would definitely rewatch this one!
Season 3
Episode 1: The Empty Hearse
  • I love Mary :).
  • Best line of the show: "I don't shave for Sherlock." I really want a t-shirt with this on it; it's so catchy.
  • Sherlock was very cruel to John, but it was written in such a funny way with all of John's punching, so I couldn't help but feel a little bad for Sherlock.
  • We didn't really get to see Sherlock dismantle an entire network of people working for Moriarty, he said everything was done from S2E3 to S3E1. But to be honest, I really just wanted to see him united with John and Mrs. Hudson again, so I guess it's fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
  • Speaking of which, Mrs. Hudson's reaction when she saw Sherlock was the best <3. 
Episode 2: The Sign of Three
john watson burn GIF
Credit
  • Such a wholesome episode! 
  • Sherlock's speech is so sweet!
  • This episode is also especially funny. For example, Sherlock shows a kid gruesome pictures and the kid is enamored, and nearly mentions this to his mother.
  • Overall: 10/10.
Episode 3: His Last Vow
  • WOW Mary is a queen!
happy martin freeman GIF
Credit
  • Pretty good mystery. It didn't really draw me in as much as some of the others, but it was still fascinating. 
  • Overall: 9/10.
Special: The Abominable Bride
bbc pbs GIF by Sherlock
Credit
  • Creepy
  • but also fun! 
  • Molly honestly looks nice in short hair. I would keep the look.
  • I could not fathom this one at all until Sherlock revealed what was going on. Really well done, again!
  • Overall: 10/10! Though I probably would not rewatch it just because of how chilling it was.
Season 3 was my favorite season because it was a lot lighter and happier than the rest, which was probably to prepare for the gloomiest season, season 4.

Season 4

Episode 1: The Six Thatchers
babysitting bbc GIF by Sherlock
Credit
  • Sherlock talking to Rosie is one of the funniest moments of the show.
  • Pretty interesting, and it's nice to know what's on that flash drive Mary gave to John. Mary is literally my favorite (after Sherlock and John, ofc ;)).
  • BUT THEN THE END CAME AND EVERYTHING WAS VERY VERY VERY BAD. AND I WAS SCARED BECAUSE SHERLOCK AND JOHN WERE BROKEN AND I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO FIX THEM.
  • Overall: 9/10.
Episode 2: The Lying Detective
bbc no GIF
Credit
  • SO Sherlock was not okay. And John was not okay. Surprisingly Mrs. Hudson seemed to be doing okay, though she was obviously sad.
  • Good mystery, though I don't know why Culverton Smith made confessions and erased people's memories on a regular basis; he definitely would have been caught one day anyway.
  • Overall: 9/10.
Episode 3: The Final Problem 
  • I was intrigued by Eurus's high IQ and persuasiveness. 
  • I was shocked when she revealed that there was no glass between her and Sherlock when he first went to see her. 
  • Still, the premise of this episode was hard to believe. I found it hard to believe Eurus could control everything on the island she lived on, no matter how high her IQ.
  • Also, the show can't keep making people up. First, there's Sherlock's sister. She was never mentioned before, but fine, I understand if you want to add her into the show. But someone new also came in at the end (I want to reveal more but I can't because it's a spoiler). It got ridiculous.
  • I can't believe how stupid Mycroft was when he gave Eurus a Christmas present. But he made up for it when he kept insulting John so Sherlock would get angry and shoot Mycroft.
  • Not a super satisfying conclusion. I wish we'd gotten to see what happened with Rosie, Molly, Greg, Mrs. Hudson, etc. (besides just a few flashes of everyone hanging out).
  • Overall: 9/10.
I normally don't really watch/read mysteries, but this show kept me on my toes the whole time. I was intrigued by Sherlock's deductive ability, and loved how realistically he could deduce things. (Although, obviously, some clues were just written in conveniently, but still.) I also loved the characters: cocky Sherlock, eager Mrs. Hudson, caring John, and cunning Mary. They all go through a lot of character development, especially Sherlock.

This show was super fun and I hope to see similar shows in the future. But maybe I'll wait until after final exams this time ;).

What did you think? Have you watched Sherlock? Have you watched any similar shows to Sherlock? Do you like mysteries? Let me know below!
sherlock holmes GIF by BBC
Credit

Also, please follow me on bloglovin for quality content ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...