Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Let's Talk About...American Panda!

Credit: Pixabay
Do you want to participate in this week's Let's Talk About... topic? Basically, I'll post questions about a book/series and my answers to them (so readers get a hint of what to expect when reading), then I'll invite you to answer them in the comments below or leave a link below to your own blog. Just please link back to this post when you do, and feel free to change up the questions :)

This time, I'm featuring American Panda by Gloria Chao.
This adorable GIF can be found on the author's website under "Press Kit".
Synopsis: At seventeen, Mei should be in high school, but skipping fourth grade was part of her parents' master plan. Now a freshman at MIT, she is on track to fulfill the rest of this predetermined future: become a doctor, marry a preapproved Taiwanese Ivy Leaguer, produce a litter of babies.

With everything her parents have sacrificed to make her cushy life a reality, Mei can't bring herself to tell them the truth--that she (1) hates germs, (2) falls asleep in biology lectures, and (3) has a crush on her classmate Darren Takahashi, who is decidedly not Taiwanese.

But when Mei reconnects with her brother, Xing, who is estranged from the family for dating the wrong woman, Mei starts to wonder if all the secrets are truly worth it. Can she find a way to be herself, whoever that is, before her web of lies unravels?
 


The questions:
1. Mei is an avid dancer. Do you have any dance experience?
I did Bollywood when I was really little for a year or two, but I didn't really enjoy it that much. I suspect it has to do with the fact that it was at 9:00 on Saturday mornings...

2. Do you own any fan-related memorabilia?
Sadly, no. But I do own the book!

3. Would you try stinky tofu?
I'm going to go with...no #sorrynotsorry. I don't even like tofu tbh.

4. Favorite part, no spoilers please!
There's a sweet scene where Mei and her mother eat strawberry liquid nitrogen ice cream and walk around campus together. It was fun to get to eat ice cream and tour MIT from the comfort of my own home :).

That's a wrap for American Panda. Interested? Check it out on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...