Monday, September 11, 2017

What Classifies a Classic?

So we've all heard of the classics.
Either you think you'll be like this if you read one...
 science favorite child childhood medicine GIF
Credit
Yes, this is Anne from Anne of Green Gables.
...Or you're willing to give them a try. No matter what you think, I think most classics have some requirements for them to qualify in that category. What's similar between Little Women and Matilda? Let me tell you...

Alright, so the first common characteristic most classics share is that they're...well... a bit old. Some are over a hundred years old (think Anne of Green Gables) and some are relatively newer (I consider Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a classic, and it was published in the 1960s). I know that the "age" of the book really doesn't matter content-wise, but to be considered a classic, a book should be read by more than just one generation. That's what a classic is! It's still read by people of the modern world, so it can't really be written in the modern times and be declared a classic right away.

The second things I think most classics share is that the characters lead a simplistic-ish life (let's not get into some of Roald Dahl's books right now). Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy from Little Women have lots of problems, yes, but they aren't global troubles. Their largest concern is mainly of their father in the army, but the rest of the time, Amy goes to school, Meg governs children for a while, etc. etc., all while going on picnics with Laurie.

What a nice life.

I don't mean to say that their lives were easy, because I'm sure they weren't. Everyone has their own struggles. My point is just that they didn't worry about their followers on social media or about global warming, because those problems didn't really exist back then.

Another major thing I've noticed about the classics is that sometimes they have a lot of animal involvement (like in Charlotte's Web, which I haven't read yet, but I've heard about it a lot). Old Yeller is also almost completely based around Yeller, the family's dog. Who knows, maybe A Dog's Purpose will become somewhat of a classic later on.

What do you think defines/are qualities of a classic? Do you like reading them? Which one is your favorite? Tell me below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...