Saturday, May 16, 2020

DECA Crash Course Week 3: Creating a logo

Hey everyone, welcome back to my crash course! Today's post is a shorter one, geared toward people doing entrepreneurship events. I used to get questions about how I designed my business's logo, so today, that's what I'll be going through.


Week 3: Designing your logo.

Finally, after you've come up with a business idea you want to pursue, you've decided to create your business's logo. A logo is pretty critical to a business: that teeny design showcases the business's values, and is a true example of the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words".

So what are the main aspects you should focus on when designing your logo?
  • Capturing your business's theme. Whether your business is elegant or playful, your logo should capture its originality. There's nothing wrong with having a playful logo instead of a sleek one; it's all about capturing your business's brand promise. 
    File:Toys "R" Us logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons
    You wouldn't see Toys "R" Us using a black and white logo because they sell toys, for example.
  • The color scheme and fonts. Choose gender-neutral colors if your target audience includes all genders. Use simplistic fonts that pop rather than really decorative ones that are hard to read. 
    • Additionally, keep in mind that the color scheme for your logo will probably be similar to that of your report, so try to choose colors that would look good on both. 
  • The symbols you're going to include. The best logos are simple, and use relevant symbols to capture the message they want to send. Think Nike, Target, and Amazon.
File:Logo NIKE.svg - Wikimedia Commons
Nike's logo is clear and simple. Their slogan, "just do it", is crisply captured in this check mark. 
And finally, which tools should you use to design your logo? There are a million options! I actually designed my logo sophomore year using Google slides, and I was pretty satisfied with the result! I simply found free images, played around with the colors, and saved my work!
Also, last year, I used Powerpoint (my love for Microsoft products is never ending, as you'll see these next few weeks!). I know a lot of people use Canva as well. In fact, that's what I used to design this series' icon. 
However, I probably would advise against using logo makers, because they're pretty generic. Your logo is your judge's first impression of who you are, so make sure to capture the best look of your business.

That's all my tips for today! How do you guys usually design your logos? Tell me below! If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or ask me on this form here! This series is for all of you, so don't be afraid to ask me questions :).

Thanks for reading, see you next week!

*DECA Inc. does not endorse or create this post, series, nor any of the visual content on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...